Welcome To The City of Bryan, Ohio


Engineering Department
1399 East High Street
Second Floor
Bryan, Ohio 43506





2012 Annual Report


Z O N I N G   C E R T I F I C A T E

A zoning certificate authorizes the construction or alteration of a building or structure and/or use of a lot in accordance with the Planning and Zoning Code.  A zoning certificate may be required before a work permit is issued.  If a zoning certificate is required, an application may be obtained from the City of Bryan Engineering Department.  A zoning certificate may be granted by the Zoning Administrator or may have to go in front of the Planning Commission and/or City Council (see Review Committees).  A zoning certificate is needed for the following items and goes into further detail in the Description & Fees:


Conditional Use of a Lot

Lot Split

Rezoning of a Lot

Site / Development Plan Approval

Subdivision Plat Approval

Vacation of Right-of-Way


P E R M I T   P R O C E S S

There are four types of permits: Work, Commercial & Industrial, Moving, and Sign.  Fill out the application in its entirety.  Return your paperwork to the Zoning Administrator when completed.  Allow two weeks for the Zoning Administrator to process your paperwork.  Make sure the contact portion of the paperwork is filled out in case the Zoning Administrator has any question or comments.  Once the Zoning Administrator has approved your permit, he will call you and you may stop back into the Engineering Department with your payment and pickup your permit.

Work Permit

A work permit covers the following improvements, which are described in further detail in the Description & Fees section: 

Accessory Building Curb Cut
Demolition Driveway
Deck Fence
Garage Patio
Porch Residential Building
Sanitary Inspection & Tap Storm Inspection & Tap
Sidewalk Siding
Swimming Pool Windows

 Commercial & Industrial Permit

Commercial & Industrial permits require a set of state approved plans.  Please turn in two sets of plans with your paperwork.  The plans require the signatures of the eight department heads.  There will be a meeting on the Wednesday after we receive your plans.  You are encouraged to be at this meeting to answer any questions the department heads may have.  If you are not at the meeting, a punch list will be made and sent to you to correct.  If a department head has no questions about the plans, he will sign off on the plans.  A partial permit can be obtained for Commercial & Industrial projects.

Moving Permit

A Moving permit is required for any building being moved over, along, or across any highway, street, or alley in the city.  The permit requires a building description including dimensions and construction material, the route involved with the move, and the time and date of the move.  A cost estimate from utility companies for removing and replacing lines/structures to accommodate the move is also required.  The city also requires a surety bond or a liability insurance policy for $300,000.

Sign Permit

A Sign permit requires a drawing of the proposed sign with dimensions.  This drawing should also show the proposed location of the sign on the site.  If the proposed site is in the C-3 district, it must go before the C-3 Design Review Committee for approval.

D E S C R I P T I O N   &   F E E S

Accessory Building


$.04 per Sq. Ft./Min. $20.00


An accessory building cannont occupy more than 30% of the rear yard. You are allowed 2 detached structures. Accessory buildings cannot be located on an easement and shall not exceed 18 feet in height.
Commercial & Industrial Building $2.00 per $1,000 of construction cost


Permits require state approved plans. The plans are looked at and signed by city department heads.  City council must approve the permit.
Conditional Use of a Lot




If the proposed use of a lot in a zoning district is permitted as a conditional use, a zoning certificate application and a construction drawing must be presented to the Planning Commission for approval.
Curb Cut $20.00 A permit is required if you plan to cut the existing street curb.
Demolition $.02 per Sq. Ft./Min. $20.00 Any primary building or outbuilding to be dismantled or removed.
Driveway $20.00 A new driveway, widening an existing driveway or changing the type of material of a driveway requires a permit. Driveways must adhere to a 3 foot side rear set back.
Decks, Patios & Porches $20.00 The structure may be opened or closed.  Must adhere to yard setbacks.
Fence $20.00 Construct, alter, replace or reconstruct a fence on your property.  Fences may be put up to the property line.  If a fence is put over an easement, it is the owner's responsibility to move the fence if there is work to be done in the easement.  Fences shall not exceed 3 1/2 feet in height for front or corner side yards and 6 feet for back and side yards in residential districts.  Fences may be 8 feet tall for side and rear yards in commercial and industrial districts. The smooth finish side of the fence shall face outward from the yard being fenced.


$.04 per Sq. Ft./Min. $20.00


Garages shall not exceed 18 feet in height and shall not exceed the ground floor area of the dwelling.  They shall have a pedestrian exit to the outdoors other than the garage door for vehicles. See Accessory building for additonal regulations.
Lot Split




A zoning certificate is required if you plan to divide one parcel of land into two or more.  The proposed split must be conforming to the Planning and Zoning Code.  If it does not, you may apply for a variance.
Moving Building




Moving a building from one location to another. See Zoning Administrator for regulations and requirements
Partial Permit $25.00 This applies only to Commercial and Industrial permits.
Residential Building


$.08 per Sq. Ft. Living Area/Min. $20.00


New construction or additions on existing residential buildings require a permit.  A rough sketch of the improvements along with dimensions is required.  New homes also require an elevation view. The improvements must adhere to yard setbacks.
Rezoning $150.00 To change the zoning of a parcel requires a zoning certificate.  A request must go before the Planning Commission and then before City Council.
Sanitary Tap and Inspection


$70.00 (additional charges may apply)

See Zoning Administrator


A sanitary tap is needed in order to connect to a sanitary main.  It is the property owner's responsibility to connect to the main.  For future reference, an inspection of all sanitary connections shall be completed before the connection is covered.




A permit is needed when more than 25% of an existing structure is going to be resided.


$.20 per sq. ft minimum $20.00 - maximum $50.00


To install, erect, or replace a sign requires a permit.  The sign can be luminous or non-luminous. A drawing of the sign with dimensions and location on the site is required. Signs in the downtown area may hve to go through the C-3 Design Review Committee
Site / Development Plan Approval




Any proposed site development requires a zoning certificate and must go before the Planning Commission to ensure the health, safety, and general welfare of the surrounding community. If the site is in the C-3 district, it may have to go before the C-3 Design Review Committee.
Storm Tap and Inspection


$70.00 (additional charges may apply) See Zoning Administrator


A storm tap permit is needed in order to connect to a storm service line to a City storm main.  Storm taps are used for downspouts, sump pump discharge, and footer tile.  It is the property owner's responsibility to connect into the main.  For future reference, an inspection of all storm connections shall be completed before the connection is covered.
Subdivision Plat Approval




Subdivisions require a zoning certificate and must go before the Planning Commission for review.  A preliminary subdivision plat must be reviewed and approved prior to the submittal of construction drawings.  A final plat must be presented prior to recording the subdivision.
Swimming Pool




A permit is needed for in ground and above ground pools.  They shall be completely enclosed by a wall or fence.  Above ground pools that have a deck do not require a fence. See yard setbacks.




A street or alley may be vacated.   A written letter explaining the reason for the vacation and a petition showing all of the abutting owners must be submitted to the City Engineering Department.  Allow at least four weeks to process the paperwork and to be presented to City Council.   




A property owner may apply for a variance if their lot or improvement does not conform to city code.  A variance is presented before the Planning Commission. The Engineering Department will draw the vacation plat for the street or alley. See Review Committees




A permit is needed when more than 25% of the windows of an existing structure are going to have replacement windows installed.

P R O P E R T Y   S E T B A C K S













R3 See Zoning Administrator






5' Adjacent to nonresidential

20' Adjacent to residential



25' Adjacent to nonresidential

70' Adjacent to residential



10' Adjacent to nonresidential

100' Adjacent to residential



15' Adjacent to nonresidential

40' Adjacent to residential



15' Adjacent to nonresidential

40' Adjacent to residential










1.  In the event that a maintenance easement is required along a side lot line, the minimum side yard requirement shall be increased to 15' for such side yard.

2.  Except that for lots abutting a state route the minimum front yard setback shall be 25'.

3.  When two adjacent buildings do not share a common wall, they shall maintain separation of 20 feet.


For your convenience we have provided PDF versions of our forms for you to download, print out, complete and mail or drop off to our office.   You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to display and print out the forms. If you do not already have Acrobat installed on your system, select the link below to download Acrobat and follow the instructions provided.

Adobe Reader - Download

Commercial and Industrial Application
Moving Building Application
Sign Application
Work Permit Application
Zoning Certificate Application



C-3 Design Review Committee

The C-3 Design Review Committee reviews any proposed development in the C-3 district and makes recommendations to the Planning Commission. They also review sign applications in the C-3 district.

Planning Commission

The Planning Commission reviews conditional uses, right-of-way vacations rezoning requests, variances, and development plans and plats and a recommendation is made to the City Council. The Planning Commission meets the first Tuesday of the month. In order to be on the agenda for the meeting, we must have your entire paperwork thirteen calendar days before the meeting. The Engineering Department must advertise and notify everybody within a 250-foot radius of the change. The Planning Commission has full authority over the approval or denial of variances.

City Council

City Council has the authority to approve or deny Commercial & Industrial permits, rezoning requests, subdivision plats and vacation requests. The City Council meets the first and third Mondays of each month.


Copyright 2013 City of Bryan, 1399 East High St. Bryan, Ohio. All Rights Reserved